Midweek meals a constant circulation of old ideas and same old story dinner table suspects.
How can we shake things up?
Let’s introduce new friends and new flavours to our cupboards.
Get rid of ready-made ingredients and eat whole foods. That sounds great as long as I don’t have to spend ages in the kitchen. Try making a few side dishes full of flavour and mix them together in a bowl for side dish party! Like swapping rice for buckwheat. Simply cook like pasta once tender drain and toss with vinaigrette or pesto.
What is buckwheat?
This superfood seed posing as a grain is a great complex carb related to sorrel or rhubarb plant.
It’s not at all related to wheat and is completely gluten-free! It has a rich nutty flavour and is so satisfying. It makes a wonderful flour for pancakes, flatbreads, and gluten-free baking.
Its also a pseudocereal related to chia seeds, amaranth, and quinoa. Which basically means they aren’t grasses which true cereals are.
Why eat it?
It’s high in fibre and protein!
great source of energy-boosting B vitamins, plus minerals including manganese, magnesium, zinc, iron and folate.
low in calories and fat
Can help prevent diabetes because it keeps blood sugar stable
Pan Fried Buckwheat and Apple with Basil Sunflower Seed Pesto, and Roast Cauliflower
serves approx. 2-3 people
1-2 Red sweet apples
60g (per person) buckwheat groats
1 head of cauliflower
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 zucchini or courgette
1-2 tsp olive oil
- chop cauliflower into pieces and place in tray add salt, drizzle of oil, and garlic powder roast in hot over 200c(400f) until brown and tender. Keep warm
- Boil buckwheat groats until tender and drain access water
- Grate raw zucchini
- Pan fry cooked buckwheat and grated zucchini in a drizzle of olive oil with a pinch of salt and a couple spoons of pesto (see recipe)
- Slice and core apples and fry only one side in a drizzle of olive oil
- Place everything is a bowl, top with more toasted sunflower seeds and dig in
Basil Sunflower Seed Pesto:
20-30g (large handful of fresh basil leaves)
3 Tbsp roasted sunflower seeds
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar or plain
pinch of sea salt
1 head of roasted garlic
- Roast 1 head of garlic in tin foil with a drop of oil until golden and tender (approx. 20 mins)
- Roast sunflower seeds in the oven at the same time until golden (approx..5-10 mins)
- Blend all ingredients together until smooth check seasonings add extra salt