Eating a healthy breakfast can give you the armour needed to fight any battle. Well at least get you to work.
I enjoy homemade granola, oatmeal, veggie juice, smoothies or healthy pancakes if I have a bit of time.
I especially love a hearty warm piece of toast!
I know when people cut back it is often bread they want to eat less of. I completely understand this concept as modern bread is full of all kinds of rubbish and after a few meals that contain it I feel like I have eaten a boot.
It does, however, make me feel wonderfully full and it gives me energy. So this recipe gives you that part and the blissful enjoyment of hot toast.
I have made healthy nutty bread before but I wanted something different. I have heard of savoury chocolate bread before and wanted to give a healthy gluten free version a try. THIS BREAD IS NOT SWEET! Not sure it would make a good sandwich either as its a bit heavy.
This chocolate bread has a rich chocolate flavour and is dense similar to an Irish wheaten bread. I have my double toasted with a bit of honey and nut butter.
This with coffee is my favourite breakfast at the moment it’s so hearty, warm, and comforting as bread should be. Give it a go let me know what you think.
Healthy Chocolate Oat Bread
- 600g of raw Oats
- 3/4 cup raw cocao powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cups warm water*
- 1 package of instant yeast (7g)
- 4 tbsp honey
- Grind your oats into a flour with your food processor. Depending how big your food processor is you may want to make two separate batches of flour. Add your oat flour, salt, cocoa powder, and melted coconut oil together in a bowl and mix well.
- Prepare your warm water I find a good temperature is half boiling water and half cold water. You are looking for 110 degrees F /45 degrees C.
- Add the honey to warm water and stir until dissolved. Then add your yeast and stir leave for 5 minutes. Make a well in the bowl with your dry ingredients and add your yeast mixture and mix with a wooden spoon till it is a ball of dough. Add a touch more water if dry or a bit more flour.
- Knead dough for 5 minutes and put in a clean dry bowl with a touch of melted coconut oil and turn ball of dough to coat in oil evenly. Place a wet cloth over bowl and put in a warm place. I use my oven I heat for a few minutes then turn it off and put bowl in oven with door closed for 1 hour. It will rise but it won’t double in size like wheat bread.
- Then place dough on a baking sheet with some non stick baking paper. Form dough into round loaf and place is your oven at the hottest setting (425f/220c). Bake for 35-40 minutes turn bread over and tap bottom will sound hollow.
- WAIT TILL FULLY COOLED BEFORE CUTTING it will fall apart and you will be annoyed! Even when cooled will crumble a little. Store in airtight container or sealed bag. Enjoy!